Cookbook

Vegan (No egg or dairy) Pound Cake :rectnt *PIC*

Vegan (No egg or dairy) Pound Cake w/ :recrev

As a vegetarian, I had many go-to recipes that were perfection personified. My pound cake recipe from Southern Living magazine was the ultimate. When I became a vegan, I set out in pursuit of an eggless, dairyless replacement. After some disappointments, I found this amazing recipe at http://aveganfordinner.blogspot.com/ . I can scarcely recommend this recipe highly enough. It works beautifully every time and, while its simple goodness is perhaps best savored unadorned, I garnished a slice with a few farm fresh berries for the photo.... I've changed the order of ingredients and how they are put together just a little, increased the amount of extracts and increased the baking time by 5 minutes. But, otherwise the recipe is virtually unchanged. –Betsy DiJulio of The Blooming Platter.

BTW, please note that this is NOT the recipe for vegan pound cake that Nancy posted; this one contains more sugar, but considerably LESS fat. :recrev I found THIS pound cake (recipe) produced a moist loaf with an dense, velvety texture and flavor unsurpassed by any "regular" pound cakes I have tasted! (No trace of tofu, I promise)! The loaf did sink just a bit in the middle, but this could've been due to the oven being slightly under temperature, not baking the cake quite long enough (I baked it for 50, rather than 55 minutes), or the fact that I substituted self-raising flour (didn't have all-purpose on hand - discovered AFTER I started the cake!), which has slightly more baking powder than the recipe called for. When I turned the cake out of the pan, inverting the loaf, the slight depression completely disappeared! Even had it not, a little cream and fresh fruit on top would've completely covered any imperfections. -LuAnn

Yield: TWO 5x9-inch loaf cake (The recipe on the blog made a single loaf, but I have doubled it; it was THAT GOOD! :thup Anyway, by doubling the recipe, one isn't left with half an opened box of tofu! :lol

Ingredients:

1 cup vegan margarine/butter-type spread, softened (LuAnn likes Earth Balance or Willow Run)
3 cups granulated sugar
1 (12-ounce box) of Mori-Nu (or similar aeseptically packaged*) firm or extra firm tofu
4 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour**
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons butter extract (LuAnn added)
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder**
1 teaspoon salt (LuAnn added)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease two 5 x 9" loaf pans. (LuAnn used no-stick cooking spray, applying generously to the bottom and corners of the pans, but very lightly to none on the sides).
Cream together butter/margarine-type spread and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for several minutes, until fluffy.
Beat in tofu until the mixture is smooth and once again fluffy.
Add 2 cups flour and, with mixer on low, mix just until incorporated.
Add water and extracts and do the same.
Add the remaining 2 cups of flour. baking powder and salt; increase mixer speed to medium and beat for 1-2 minutes.
Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans, using the back of a spoon to smooth the tops.
Bake the loaves in the center of the oven for 55 minutes, or until the cakes test done.
Allow to stand in the pans for 2 to 3 minutes, then invert the loaves onto wire racks or plates to cool completely.
Store the cooled loaves in an airtight container or double-wrap and freeze until needed.

*This is the type of tofu packaged in small cardboard boxes, which does not require refrigeration until opening.

**I used an equal amount of self-rising flour, which contains baking powder and salt, so I omitted the baking powder listed in the recipe. IF I HAD USED ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, I would've included the baking powder and ADDED salt, as I indicated in the list of ingredients.

Source: Recipe adapted by LuAnn* from The Blooming Platter blog, whose author credited the blog, A Vegan for Dinner with the "original" recipe. (Interestingly, the author of the "original" recipe said she had had the recipe for years and no idea where it came from)! :lol And so it goes... Tested and shared by LuAnn on KRT, who made several changes to the recipe and directions.

TOFU, VEGETARIAN & VEGAN #5

Cashew Cream :rectnt
Healthy "Hamburgers"
LuAnn's Oat-Sage Breakfast Patties/Vegetarian Burgers :rectnt
Vegan (No egg or dairy) Pound Cake :rectnt *PIC*
Vegan Taco Bake Recipe
Artichoke & Cheese Puff
Baked Apple and Carrot Vegan Casserole
Banana Pancakes - Vegan
Barbequed Saurkraut
Bittersweet Chocolate Tofu Mousse a l'orange
Broccoli Tofu Pie