Cookbook

Fabulous Focaccia :rectnt

Fabulous Focaccia

I found this recipe online at Food Network. I am not familiar with the show, but apparently it is a Florence Tyler Show. It states it is from the show Food 911 Episode: Bad Bread in Las Vegas NV.
Ingredients:

2 teaspoons rapid-rising dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
1 Tablespoon coarse salt
1/4 cup olive oil
Cornmeal, for dusting

Toppings:

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1 Tablespoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary

Instructions:

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, proof the yeast by combining it with the warm water and sugar.
Stir gently to dissolve.
Let stand 3 minutes until foam appears.
Turn mixer on low and slowly add the flour to the bowl. Dissolve salt in 2 Tablespoons of water and add it to the mixture.
Pour in 1/4 cup olive oil.
When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium.
Stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook.
Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary.
Turn the dough out onto a work surface and fold over itself a few times.
Form the dough into a round and place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat the entire ball with oil so it doesn't form a skin. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let rise over a gas pilot light on the stovetop or other warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Coat a sheet pan with a little olive oil and corn meal.
Once the dough is doubled and domed, turn it out onto the counter.
Roll and stretch the dough out to an oblong shape about 1/2-inch thick.
Lay the flattened dough on the pan and cover with plastic wrap.
Let rest for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, coat a small saute pan with olive oil, add the onion, and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until the onions caramelize.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Uncover the dough and dimple with your fingertips.
Brush the surface with more olive oil and then add caramelized onions, garlic, olives, cheese, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
Bake on the bottom rack for 15 to 20 minutes.

Tips: Someone on KRT noted they use a heating pad over the bowl for rising. I did that since it was fairly cool in my kitchen. It worked like a charm!

I had a bag of Sargento Classic 6 Cheese Shredded Cheese which includes Moggarella, Smoked Provolone, Asiago, Parmesan, Romano and Fontina. I used that instead of plain shredded Parmesan.

Since I am not a fan of rosemary, I wasn't going to be putting 2 Tablespoons of fresh (or otherwise) rosemary on top of the bread to ruin it so I wouldn't want to eat it! Instead I used Master Foods/The Taste Master Tuscan Seasoning Blend. It contains salt, sugar, garlic, pepper, rosemary, parsley and vegetable oil. Before using it, I tasted it and could not detect the rosemary, so used about a Tablespoon of that, along with a tablespoon of dried Basil. The topping was a bit on the salty side, so I would cut down on the coarse salt if using a seasoning blend in the future. Everyone thought the saltiness of the topping was good, however.

I noted that a lot of the topping came off when cutting, thus losing some of the wonderful caramelized onions and Kalamata olives. I think it might help to push them down into the dough a little before baking, if that is possible.

All in all, this was a pretty good result for my first attempt at baking bread in about 25 years!

Posted by GourmetGal
December 17, 2011

BREAD #42

Eggless Challah Bread :veg :photo
Millet Bread *PIC*
Multigrain No-Knead Bread *PIC*
My Easiest Gluten-Free Roll Recipe :rectnt *LINK* *PIC*
Super Fast Bread
"Almost" No-knead Bread *LINK*
1920's Nut Loaf Recipe
Amber Waves of Grain Bread :rectnt
Angel Biscuits