Cookbook

Mother's Strawberry Freeze (Fat-free, but flavor-filled) :rectnt *PIC*

Mother's Strawberry Freeze (Fat-free, but flavor-filled)

Guess what I found! (Not wanting to be without my recipes while spending nearly 3 weeks in Pennsylvania, I copied the majority of the computer files onto a flash drive so I would access to them here.)

My mother often made this refreshing slushy "freeze" when Michigan strawberries were in season. And, she usually used freshly hand-picked, sun-kissed strawberries. Having grown up on her Daddy’s farm, where she often helped by picking green beans and other vegetables for the market, Mother could “pick circles” around most anyone else. (Of course, my own baskets of berries would’ve filled up more quickly if I’d eaten less)! Strawberry Freeze, made from fresh strawberries was one of her favorite summertime desserts - so refreshing on hot days. As special as it was, we selected this to serve at Walter's and my wedding rehearsal dinner (which mother made and served with the help of my Aunt) many years ago. The recipe is a keeper, for sure!

Ingredients:

3 pints fresh strawberries, hulled
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice

Choice whole strawberries, unhulled, optional, for garnish

Instructions:
At least one day before serving, in an electric blender or food processor, puree the strawberries with the sugar, orange and lemon juices. (If necessary, do in two batches, using one half of each of the ingredients at a time).
Spread the mixture into a 12x8x2-inch pan (or 13x9-inch pan), then cover tightly with plastic wrap.
Place the pan in the freezer for several hours, or until the mixture is partially frozen.
Spoon the partially frozen mixture into an electric mixer bowl; beat until smooth.
Return the mixture to the pan; cover, then place back in the freezer until it is completely frozen.
Before serving, remove the dish from the freezer to soften the mixture just enough to serve. (It looks a little too slushy in the photo below).
Scoop "freeze" into individual serving bowls.
If desired, garnish servings with whole strawberries.
Ahhhhh!

Source: LuAnn Bermeo's mother, Effie K. Row. (Written up by LuAnn).
(Photo from mywholedeal.com).

ICE CREAMS, ICES, SORBETS & FROZEN YOGURTS # 24

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Pie :rectnt
Pumpkin Gingersnap Ice Cream :rectnt
Yummy Summer Slush :rectnt
Bleu Cheese Salad Sherbet
Cali's Butterfinger Ice Cream Pie :rectnt *PIC*
Cherry Garcia Ice Cream :copycat
Creamy Blackberry Frozen Yogurt :rectnt :photo
Creamy Strawberry Frozen Yogurt :photo
Mother's Strawberry Freeze (Fat-free, but flavor-filled) :rectnt *PIC*
Pretzel Ice Cream :photo *LINK*