Cookbook

Mixed Berry (or whatever berry you like best) "Huckle Buckle" :rectnt *PIC*

Mixed Berry (or whatever berry you like best) "Huckle Buckle"

I adapted this recipe from www.acakebakesinbrookly.com, where the blogger explained that this recipe caught her eye amidst a pile of "vintage" recipe material she'd purchased off eBay! (Ah, someone as "crazy" about acquiring recipes as I am)! LOL The recipe was handwritten on a yellowed scrap and rather cryptic -- as many old recipes are. I've fleshed out both the ingredient list and the directions!*

The finished dish has a certain comforting homeyness about it. As my son-in-law said, "It tastes like something a Great Aunt Ethel would make."** Nothing novel or new-fangled, just old-fashioned goodness. Serve it warm, with memories.... -LuAnn

Ingredients:

Filling:
2 rounded cups berries (I used an unsweetened frozen berry mix – blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or less)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or less)

Crumb base and topping:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup softened margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a small saucepan, stir all of the filling ingredients together; cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring occasionally, then set aside.
Meanwhile, to make the crumb base and topping, cream the brown sugar, margarine and vanilla together.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, oatmeal, baking soda and salt. Mix into the creamed mixture until crumbly.
Press half the crumbly mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of a 9x9-inch (or equivalent size) non-aluminum baking pan.
Spread the thickened berries over the base.
Sprinkle the remaining crumbly mixture evenly over the berries, then press down lightly.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the fruit filling is bubbling up in spots and the crumble topping is golden brown.
Serve warm or cooled.

*The recipe did not specify amounts for the filling ingredients, but simply said, "Thicken berries (how many? what kind?) with flour, sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon. Sprinkle in while berries are warming." Hence, the amounts given are my own after experimenting with the recipe a couple of times. (Note that I added water and substituted cornstarch for flour). As for the crumbly base/topping mixture, the only change I made was to substitute margarine (or you could use butter) for the shortening, as it produced a more flavorful crumble in my opinion.

**He also said he'd like to eat the whole panful! :)

Source: Loosely adapted by LuAnn Bermeo from www.acakebakesinbrooklyn.com. (Photo is from the website - but mine looked very similar).

FRUIT #26

Mixed Berry (or whatever berry you like best) "Huckle Buckle" :rectnt *PIC*
Apple Crisp :rectnt
Apple Dumplings :rectnt *LINK* *PIC*
Apple Fritters *PIC*
Apple Pie :rectnt
Apple-Cranberry Crisp
Arance al Marsala :rectnt
Aunt Florence's Fried Apples : Old Recipe
Baked Fruit Alaska
Baked Pineapple with Brown Sugar and Kahlua :rectnt
Chocolate-Dipped Figs with Almonds :photo