Cookbook

Coffee and Maple Glazed Nuts :rectnt

Coffee and Maple Glazed Nuts

from "Seasons"............our HyVee grocery store magazine Spring 2015
Oven-roasted nuts have a bold flavor that pairs nicely with dark chocolate or assertive cheeses, such as Gorgonzola and whiskey-infused cheddar. Watch the nuts closely while baking so they don't overbrown.

Prep: 10 minutes (bake 5 to 7 minutes) Serves 8 (about 1/4 cup each)

(ingredients written as printed, remember this is a HyVee magazine! I have added my comments.)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 (8.75 ounce) bag Hy-Vee deluxe salted mixed nuts (with no peanuts) (my note: I think any mixed nuts would be fine, even with peanuts)
1/3 cup instant dark roast coffee crystals(I used Folger's regular instant)
1/2 cup Hy-Vee Select 100%-pure maple syrup
1/4 cup packed Hy-Vee brown sugar

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. set aside.

Place coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave oil on HIGH about 30 seconds or until melted.
Spread nuts on prepared baking sheet.
Drizzle coconut oil over top; toss to combine.

In a medium sauce pan, combine coffee crystals, syrup and brown sugar.
Cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until coffee is dissolved.
Drizzle mixture over nights; toss to combine.

Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.
Cool.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

I put the nuts in a bowl, then drizzled the oil, tossed, drizzled the coffee mixture, tossed, THEN put them on the baking sheet. (I couldn't figure out how to toss to combine while using a cookie sheet?) My nuts were very sticky when finished. I may have baked them too long? Next time I might not add all of the coffee/syrup/sugar mixture, put in just enough to have them coated! I liked the taste, found them hard to get off the parchment paper. I didn't try, but I think they would taste great mixed with popcorn! I think I will make them again. If you try, let me know how they turn out!

NUTS AND SEEDS #51

Candied (Caramelized) Walnuts :rectnt
Coffee and Maple Glazed Nuts :rectnt
Homemade MINT Chocolate Chips
Sugar-Coated Pecans :rectnt