Cookbook

Homemade Barbecue Potato Chips :rectnt *LINK*

Homemade Barbecue Potato Chips

Not sure how I ran across this last week, because I don't think I was looking to make potato chips. However when I saw it, I was very interested in the BBQ seasoning. Some years back, I bought a bottle of BBQ seasoning made by Weber. I loved the stuff. But since it contained sugar, over time the humidity would turn it solid in the bottle. And of course, they stopped making it. So when I saw this recipe, I made just the seasoning and loved it. It's good sprinkled on grilled or baked chicken and also very tasty mixed into sour cream and/or cream cheese for a dip.
Ingredients:

For the seasoning

1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For the chips

1-1/2 pounds 6- to 8-ounce russet potatoes, well scrubbed
7 to 8 cups peanut or canola oil

Instructions:

Make the seasoning
Combine the ingredients. Use right away or store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.

Make the chips
Fill a large bowl with ice water. Slice the potatoes crosswise 1/16 inch thick, preferably using a mandoline; transfer the slices to the ice water as you work. Let soak for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Drain the potatoes and discard the ice. Refill the bowl with cold water, add the potatoes, and stir to release more starch. Drain and spin the potatoes dry in batches in a salad spinner or blot dry on paper towels.

Place the potatoes on lengths of paper towel without overlapping them. Roll the slices up in the paper towel (to further dry them) and keep them rolled up until ready to fry; they can hold for up to 2 hours.

Clip a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a heavy-duty 4-quart saucepan. Add 2-1/2 inches of oil and heat over medium heat to 350 to 360°F. Line a large mixing bowl with a length of paper towel long enough to drape over the sides. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.

Carefully add about 20 slices (a few handfuls) of the potatoes to the oil. Fry, stirring gently and occasionally with a skimmer, until light golden brown to deep brown in places, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.

Remove the potatoes from the oil, tapping the skimmer against the inside of the pan to remove excess oil. Transfer the chips to the prepared bowl, and sprinkle with about 1 tsp. of the seasoning. Grab the ends of the paper towel and shimmy it back and forth to gently toss the chips with the seasoning and absorb excess oil. Transfer the chips to the prepared baking sheet to cool. Repeat in batches.

Allow the chips to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before eating; they’ll crisp more as they cool.

So, just because I have about 5 pounds of sprouting potatoes I need to use up, and because I was planning hamburgers for supper a couple of days ago and we were out of Fritos, and because I've been freed from pain and can finally walk, stand and sit now, I decided to get adventurous and try the potato chip recipe. A long time ago, I tried to make potato chips, and they began to burn before they got crispy, so I was surprised these turned out so well. Maybe several reasons it was different this time: I used my meat slicer to make them very thin, and I don't think I owned a slicer when I tried them years ago; this recipe says to soak the slices, and I don't remember doing that before; I read that potatoes that are sprouting have used up a lot of their starch, so maybe that makes a difference.

Couple of tips: I used hot water instead of cold for the soaking process; I cooked them between 310 and 325; I held them under the oil part of the time with a spider and flipped them occasionally; when they stop bubbling, they're done. They don't need to brown (preferably not) to be crisp; they just need to cool a minute or two.

Hope they work out for you. Not something I want to do every day, but it was fun. And the seasoning is delicious! Good luck!
Cathyntx

SNACKS - SAVORY # 10

Bella Napoli (Italian Nachos) :rectnt
Seasoned Oyster Crackers :rectnt *PIC*
Asian Party Mix *PIC*
Cheeseburger Baskets :rectnt *PIC*
Chex Party Mix :rectnt
Chicken Nugget Sliders :rectnt *PIC*
Chili-Lime Cashews
Corndog Muffins *PIC*
Crispy Baked Kale Chips :rectnt *PIC*
Crispy Baked Kale Chips :rectnt *PIC*
Crispy Parmesan Chips :rectnt
Croutons - Popcorn Croutons
Davy Crocketts :rectnt
Dried Beet Chips
Fish Stick Biscuit Sliders :rectnt *PIC*
Fried Chickpeas :rectnt
Frito Chili Pie :rectnt *PIC*
Frito Pie *PIC*
Fritos (Homemade)
Funky Frito Fruckies (Sweet-Salty Snack)
Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta *PIC*
Grilled Picnic Taco Nachos *PIC*
Harvest Snack Mix :rectnt :photo
Homemade Barbecue Potato Chips :rectnt *LINK*
Kale Crisps *PIC*
Lime Tortilla Chips
LuAnn's Southwestern "Tostada" Pizzas :rectnt *PIC*
Meat and Mozzarella Pinwheels :rectnt
Mexican Fudge (Cheese Squares) :rectnt
Mexican Party Wings :rectnt *PIC*
Popcorn - Creole Style
Popcorn - Italian Style