FYI: Recipe Note Tips - Slow Cooking
Now is the perfect time to start a 'Slow Cooker Sunday' habit. Every Sunday (or whatever day suits your schedule best) choose a meal to make in your slow cooker. Place the prepared ingredients of choice into your slow cooker, refrigerate it, and when you wake up the next morning place it on the kitchen counter, plug it in and let it cook all day long. Believe us, you'll be thanking yourself when dinner time rolls around! The following helpful hints will help make sure your slow cooker Sunday is a successful one:
* No frozen meats. Always defrost meats and poultry before placing them in a slow cooker.
* Smaller chunks. Cut whole chickens and large pieces of meat into smaller chunks to ensure thorough cooking.
* Layer your ingredients. Vegetables should be placed in the bottom and up the sides of the pot, then layer in the meat on top.
* Fill 'er up. It's best to fill a slow cooker to at least one-half and no more than three-fourths full.
* Keep the lid on. Each time you lift the lid you'll lengthen the cooking time, this can be anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes.