Cookbook

Grandma's Strawberry Freeze :rectnt

Grandma's Strawberry Freeze

My mother grew up on a truck farm, where she and her brothers often helped picking green beans, corn and other vegetables for the market. BTW, a truck farm did not raise trucks (!), but rather produce, which was picked fresh daily and taken to market early in the a.m. Mother could “pick circles” around most anyone else.
I remember that during strawberry season, Mother would often go out early in the morning and return with crates of strawberries, still glistening with dew. I wasn't keen on spending the next several hours helping Mother put them up -- rinsing, hulling, cutting, sugaring and packing them into freezer boxes -- but the succulent shortcakes, strawberry pies, bowls of strawberry freeze etc. after her forays, not to mention being able to enjoy field fresh strawberries during the long winter months, was worth it!

Strawberry Freeze, made from fresh strawberries, was one of my mother's favorite summertime desserts - so refreshing on hot days. I remember her serving Strawberry Freeze with homemade cookies when she hosted the garden club. It was also my dessert of choice for my wedding rehearsal supper, which was served picnic style in our yard. Not as fancy as a restaurant dinner, I suppose, but I "bet" the food was better! :)

Ingredients:
3 pints fresh strawberries, hulled
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
Choice whole strawberries, unhulled, optional

Instructions:
At least one day before serving, in electric blender or food processor, puree of the strawberries with the sugar, orange and lemon juices.
(If necessary, do in two batches, using one half of each of the ingredients at a time).
Spread the mixture in a 12x8x2-inch pan; place in the freezer for several hours, or until partially frozen.
When the mixture is partially frozen, spoon into an electric mixer bowl; beat until smooth.
Return the mixture to the dish; place in the freezer again until frozen.
Before serving, remove the dish from the freezer to soften the mixture enough to serve.
Scoop into individual serving bowls.
If desired, garnish servings with whole strawberries.

Posted by LuAnn; recipe adapted from my Mother, Effie Klooster Row.

FRUIT #26

Mixed Berry (or whatever berry you like best) "Huckle Buckle" :rectnt *PIC*
Apple Crisp :rectnt
Apple Dumplings :rectnt *LINK* *PIC*
Apple Fritters *PIC*
Apple Pie :rectnt
Apple-Cranberry Crisp
Arance al Marsala :rectnt
Aunt Florence's Fried Apples : Old Recipe
Baked Fruit Alaska
Baked Pineapple with Brown Sugar and Kahlua :rectnt
Chocolate-Dipped Figs with Almonds :photo