Cookbook

Homemade Vanilla Extract :rectnt *PIC*

Homemade Vanilla Extract

This is how to start a beautiful relationship. My bottle (I started with double this amount) is the final resting place for many "used" vanilla beans. After using the seeds for a recipe I put the beans in my sugar canister for a month or so. I pull the dried out beans from the sugar and put them in the Vanilla base bottle. It is the BEST!
Ingredients:
1 pint (375 ml) vodka, bourbon or cognac (brandy)
2 ounces pure vanilla extract
6 vanilla beans (start with 3 and reserve the others for adding later)
Instructions:
In a 1 pint or 1/2 liter glass container with a screw top lid combine the alcohol and vanilla extract.
Split the vanilla beans and cut them in half length wise.
You can scrape out some of the seeds too and add them in if you want.
Then add in the vanilla beans and shake the bottle.
Now comes the patience, add in more vanilla beans each month and shake once a week.
Do this for at least 2 months.
Once you have waited your desired time, pour some into a container for you and top off the bottle with more of the alcohol of choice.
Keep adding more beans and topping the bottle off as you use it.

Posted by oz. Making your own signature Vanilla is easier than keeping a plant. You don't have to do anything with this until you use it. Make larger amounts just after Memorial Day and allow to age and print your own labels and fill nice little bottles to give to your cooking friends for Christmas along with these instructions. Your gift will be the hit of the season and well remembered everytime the fragrant and flavorful Vanilla is used. BTW, I started with Brandy and am using a $75/bottle of Carlos Iš. Any brand and quality will work, but I love Carlos Iš.

SPICE BLENDS, ESSENCES, OILS & VINEGARS #6

Aromatic Salt :rectnt :photo
Chili Powder
Cinnamon Essence :rectnt :photo
Dried Citrus Zest :photo
Homemade Vanilla Extract :rectnt *PIC*
Marinade for Grilled Vegetables :rectnt
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Raspberry Vinegar *PIC*