Cookbook

:pw LuAnn's Family Favorite Potato Salad (Vegan) :rectnt

:pw LuAnn's Family Favorite Potato Salad (Vegan)
Entry in Salad Contest :pw
After several disappointing reviews on various attempts to develop a GOOD vegan potato salad recipe for Amazing Meals, I finally came up with one they declared “as good as my ‘old’ potato salad!” In fact, the last time I served this, my oldest son exclaimed, “Mommy no one makes potato as good as yours. Not even close!”

To fully appreciate the magnitude of his compliment, you have to understand that this son is the ONE family member who remains skeptical about our "new and improved" way of eating. No matter how much OTHERS may rave about my vegan cooking, Teddy's reviews are usually a reserved, "This is "good", BUT, not as good as your OLD ___ (just fill in the blank)!

BTW, this is a recipe I have catered to large groups, making up to 40 pounds at a time! It is very well liked by vegans AND non-vegans!

Makes about 9 cups.

Ingredients:

3 pounds red or yellow “waxy” potatoes, unpeeled (about 8 medium potatoes)
ADD-INS:
1 (6-ounce) can pitted black olives, halved crosswise
2 (or more, to taste) large dill pickles, well drained, then diced into 1/4-inch cubes
1 small sweet onion, chopped
24 ounces firm produce-style tofu, drained
DRESSING:
1 1/2 cups (reduced fat, if available) Vegenaise
2 Tablespoons mustard
2 Tablespoons white vinegar (or lemon juice)
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 Tablespoon vegetarian chicken-style seasoning (I prefer McKay’s for this recipe)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash pepper (optional)
1/3 cup dill pickle juice (or as needed to moisten the salad)
2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish (optional)
GARNISH (optional):
Dried parsley flakes and paprika

Instructions:

In a large kettle, cover the potatoes with water, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and boil gently for 30 minutes, or just until the potatoes are tender, but not overcooked.
Meanwhile, prepare the olives, pickles, onions, and celery, setting them aside in a small mixing bowl.
If you still have time, jump ahead and prepare the dressing, again setting it aside until needed.
When the potatoes have finished cooking, replace the hot water with icy cold water, leaving the kettle under the faucet with the cold water running until the potatoes are cool enough to handle, then drain.
Peel the potatoes, if desired (I often leave at least part of them unpeeled), then cut into 1/4-inch slices, spreading the slices evenly into a 13x9x2-inch pan.
Place the drained tofu on a cutting board.
Using a sharp knife, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices, then cut through the tofu again – this time lengthwise, at 1/4-inch intervals.
(You should be left with fat, somewhat short, matchstick-shaped pieces that look very much like cooked egg white).
Spread the tofu evenly over the potatoes.
Using a pastry blender (or two knives), cut firmly through the tofu and potatoes several times, just until coarsely chopped.
(Some of the pieces of tofu should remain large enough – even after folding in the dressing, to look liked chopped egg white).
Spread the prepared olives, pickles and onions evenly over the tofu and potatoes.
To make the dressing:
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, then pour the dressing over the salad ingredients.
Lightly fold the dressing into the salad ingredients, just until the salad is well mixed, again taking care not to break up the tofu too much.
(Add a little more pickle juice, if needed).
Cover and refrigerate.
(Salad is best if refrigerated for several hours before serving).
Before serving, transfer the salad to a serving bowl.
Garnish with parsley flakes and paprika.
Serve cold.
Refrigerate leftovers.

Nutrition Profile (per 1/2-cup serving): 197 Calories; 11g Fat (53% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 610mg Sodium. (The Profile was calculated using REGULAR (full fat) Vegenaise -- fat content would be much lower with their new reduced fat version).

Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, from her cookbook, Amazing Meals, volume 2. (Slightly revised from some of the earlier printings).

#1 CONTEST - :contest SALADS May 2010 #55

:cheers Avocado and Black Bean Salad :rectnt
:contest Grilled Ceasar Salad with Polenta :rectnt
:contest Grilled Green Bean & Eggplant Salad :rectnt
:contest Three Bean Salad :rectnt
:contest Val's 7~Layer Salad :rectnt
:contest Wilted Spinach Salad :rectnt
:pw Amish Macaroni Salad :rectnt
:pw Asparagus Chef Salad :rectnt
:pw Blueberry (or Cherry) "Cheesecake" Gelatin Salad :rectnt
:pw Cauliflower - Broccoli Medley :rectnt
:pw Chopped Marinated Salad :rectnt