Cookbook

Dried Citrus Zest :photo

Dried Citrus Zest

I'm always digging for an orange or lemon or lime to add zest to some recipe. This is another of those :dh recipes. Like, why haven't I been doing this forever? I even contemplated buying orange powder on-line. :btlsz

Ingredients:

Citrus Peels

Instructions:

How To Make Powdered Zest:
Peel off the rind before eating or juicing your fruit.
Try not to get too much of the white (or trim it off) - it's bitter.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and fill the sheet with the rinds.
Don't overlap them too much.
Either:

A. leave the rinds out somewhere warm for a couple of days until they are dried and curled up (our house is too air conditioned and we are scared of bugs outside so we don't do this method), OR

B. bake at your oven's lowest temperature (ours is 170║F) for about 4 hours or until the rinds are dry are curled.
Finely grind the dried rinds in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
As long as the powdered zest is completely dry, it should last for about a year (I've read this, but haven't personally put it to the test).
Store it in the refrigerator to prolong the shelf life.
For a point of reference, one medium-sized orange makes slightly less than one Tablespoon of powdered zest.

How To Use Powdered Zest:
Use powdered zest exactly as you would fresh zest (1 teaspoon fresh zest = 1 teaspoon powdered zest).
While it's just as strong as its fresh counterpart, powdered zest has a more mellow, robust flavor (not quite as acidic).
In a VERY informal taste test of two orange maple syrups - one made with fresh zest and the other with powdered zest - both Jonathan and I preferred the powdered.
I realize that this is not very useful data, but I encourage you to perform your own tests at home and report back.

Posted by oz.

Recipe and :photo by cupcakeproject.com

SPICE BLENDS, ESSENCES, OILS & VINEGARS #6

Aromatic Salt :rectnt :photo
Chili Powder
Cinnamon Essence :rectnt :photo
Dried Citrus Zest :photo
Homemade Vanilla Extract :rectnt *PIC*
Marinade for Grilled Vegetables :rectnt
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Raspberry Vinegar *PIC*