10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas
By Marygrace Stergakos, Eat. Drink. Better.
Vegetarian breakfasts are easy: Greek yogurt sprinkled with granola, scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast…the list goes on forever. While I wouldn’t say that vegan breakfasts, on the other hand, are challenging, its certainly a good opportunity to think outside the box. Unless of course, you don’t mind cereal with soymilk every morning for the rest of eternity. Me? No thanks. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and don’t think I let being vegan get in the way of that. Here are some of my favorite vegan breakfast ideas that are filling, nutritious, and keep me away from the cold cereal.
1. Porridge. My favorite is steel-cut oats cooked with almond milk on the stovetop. I add in a drizzle of flax or coconut oil at the end of cooking for richness, and lots of chopped dates and apricots for sweetness.
2. Sweet potatoes. Yes, baked for an hour in the oven tastes best, but 6 or 7 minutes in the microwave does the trick, too. I like to mash in lots of almond butter for protein, as well as a dash of cinnamon.
3. Scrambled tofu. No, it tastes nothing like eggs, but yes, it is delicious. My favorite recipe, lovingly titled Golden Tofu Scram involves tahini, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds. How does that not sound good?
4. Granola mash-up. Okay, not the best name, but that’s what I call it. I warm up some homemade berry compote, top with a few handfuls of granola, and pour in a little soy or almond milk for creaminess. Then, I stir away! Trust me, its delicious.
5. Breakfast burrito. Wrap beans, guacamole, and leftover stir-fry veggies in a whole wheat tortilla for one commute-friendly breakfast.
6. Quinoa pilaf. While quinoa is cooking in water or your favorite non-dairy milk, stir in some pecans and dried cranberries. When finished, fluff with a fork and top with a little grated orange zest.
7. Cherry smoothie. This one is especially great in the summer. Combine 1 cup frozen cherries, 1 cup water, 1/2 T coconut butter, 1 T cocoa powder, 2 T unsalted almonds, and a few medjool dates in a blender and whizz away. Fresh, frothy, and fabulous.
8. Vegan pancakes. They’re easy! Doctor up your favorite traditional pancake recipe like this: Replace each egg with 1 T ground flaxseeds and 2 T water, and sub soymilk with a little bit of cider vinegar for the buttermilk. I also like to replace half the white flour with whole wheat, and add in some blueberries or sliced banana.
9. Fruit salad. Another warm-weather favorite when you’re looking for something light. My favorite is a mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, topped with chopped almonds.
10. Banana boats. You can do this with one or two bananas, depending on how hungry you are. Split each banana length-wise and spread each half generously with peanut butter. Top with raisins, drizzle on the agave nectar, and dust with cinnamon.
Green Options Media is a network of environmentally-focused blogs providing users with the information needed to make sustainable choices. Written by experienced professionals, Green Options Media’s blogs engage visitors with authoritative content, compelling discussions, and actionable advice. We invite anyone with questions, or simply curiosity, to add their voices to the community, and share their approaches to achieving abundance.
from care2.com e-letter