Kitchen Roundtable

Thanks, LuAnn. While I'm really a fan of fresh vegetables

and don't care for canned at all (and lately not even frozen ones,), tomatoes are the exception to the rule.

I do love fresh, sliced home-grown tomatoes for eating "as is", but for cooking certain sauces and other recipes, canned seems to be the best way to go. I would recommend the canned tomatoes first, then if you like the recipe as stated, you might experiment with fresh ones later. Oddly enough, it seems tomatoes are the only vegetable I've heard of that actually benefit from the canning process (more lycopene? I can't remember...). But, as far as I'm concerned, grocery store tomatoes don't have any taste at all. The only fresh tomatoes I buy from the store are the tiny ones, and even then sometimes they aren't that great.

You could always just use the amount you need from the can and then freeze the remainder to use in soups or other recipes.

My New Year resolution (as of yesterday) is to LABEL things I put in the fridge or freezer! I often find items I can't identify!

Messages In This Thread

ATTN: Cathy, regarding the Mexican Rice recipe...
Thanks, LuAnn. While I'm really a fan of fresh vegetables
Re: Thanks, LuAnn. While I'm really a fan of fresh vegetables
Same here, jea. :ohmy *NM*
Thanks for responding, Cathy. Actually, I would've purchased a small can of tomatoes had I...
I hope you don't find it disappointing, LuAnn. It's just a simple
Sorry to be late getting back with my review after making the recipe.