Kitchen Roundtable

OT: I've been restoring my cast iron

the past couple of weeks. Now I have more usable pieces. One little old Taiwan pan is as slick as Teflon. Scrambled eggs just slide right out.

There are only three ways to tear up cast iron--warp it, crack it, or let it rust so long that it gets pitted. Otherwise, you can't hurt it. It lasts a lifetime or three. You might mess up the seasoning, but you can start over, and it'll be just like new.

I've always hated my Lodge pans. Modern Lodge has a rough surface. Discovered that can be sanded or abraded down to make it smooth like old vintage pans. I have a 3-piece set of Martha Stewart Everyday iron skillets I got at K-Mart years ago, made in China, pebbly surface. Never used it. Now I'm grinding down the inner surface to smooth it out. Need to find out if the seasoning will grab hold after it's slick. If it works, I'm giving my granddaughter whatever pieces of that she wants.

I fixed a couple of pans for a friend. She swears one of them isn't her cornbread pan; it's way too clean. LOL

Messages In This Thread

OT: I've been restoring my cast iron
Awesome!
Unless it was cracked or warped or severely pitted, it wasn't beyond hope.
Inside of the pan before restoring *PIC*
Outside of the pan before restoring *PIC*
Inside--after *PIC*
Outside--after *PIC*
Good job
Before you buy a used piece, check several things...
I feel like I just had a history channel lesson
You're welcome, jea. *NM*
Thank you, Cathy. I hope your little article gets saved in the KRT Cookbook for future reference.