Kitchen Roundtable

I had breast cancer

can tell you my whole story, but long story short is that I ended up going to Dana Farber in Boston for treatment. They shrunk my tumor prior to any typical treatments just by having me take a pill once daily, it was hormone based. I had technically 3 areas with tumors that could be felt by self examination. One was non-cancerous, but the others were cancerous. They all shrunk during the months that I took this pill, to the point that you almost couldn't detect them anymore. I had surgery, followed by the regular course of chemo, 8 treatments I believe, then 36 radiation treatments followed that. Lost my hair, but loved being bald, lol! I am still on the hormone pill, and will be for at least 5 years. They said some muscle aches may come from it, so I stopped taking it for a few weeks on their advice when I called about hand and wrist pain, but had no change. I'm not sure what I have yet, whether it's an arthritis or what, but I can't make fists with either hand, they will not fully close without coaxing and assistance from the other hand. And my wrist has been in a brace for 3 weeks and there's been no change to that, if my hand is lying flat on a desk, I can't lift it up without severe pain, sideways movement sometimes is affected too. I go back this week to the ortho, and next week to Boston, so hopefully I'll get some answers soon.

You're welcome to ask me any questions, I realize I skimmed lightly above, but didn't want to get too detailed. All I can say is to read your health insurance benefits and doing it online is easiest, IMO. That's how I found out about being treated in Boston. I had a lousy experience with the surgeon who was recommended to me and wanted a 2nd opinion. In seeing if that would be covered, I found that my insurance would 100% cover everything if I was treated at a 'Center of Excellence'...and when I say everything, it's everything. No copayments, mileage reimbursement, meal reimbursement and even hotel reimbursement. I'm sure there are some who abuse this, but we live around 2 hours away so we grabbed a sandwich and basically got out of town, we're not city folk...and only stayed over when I had my surgery. There were some hairy moments driving over in snow, ice, etc. but we did it! Can't say enough good things about Dana Farber either...wonderful folks.

Messages In This Thread

Cathy, would you mind getting up on your soapbox and sharing what you refrained from saying
Just briefly bring folks who aren't on Facebook (Cathy !) up to date on what's been going on with me
Re: Just briefly bring folks who aren't on Facebook (Cathy !) up to date on what's been going on wit
I had breast cancer
I'm sorry, I did't read your 2nd reply
While I don't always agree with the way the medical