Kitchen Roundtable

Just want to ramble for a minute. I'm on a quest and can't find many hints.

Probably over 40 years ago, we had a Miss Alma's Ozark Fried Chicken here. Not only was the chicken the best I've ever eaten (even since then), but they had stuffed, fried jalapeno peppers that were delicious. Not the cheese kind or anything with bacon like we have all over the place these days, but these were stuffed with a textured filling and coated with probably cracker meal and fried.

I started thinking about these things when I ran across a subject on Topix and people were discussing them. Lots of theories flew around, and I started gathering hints and researching. One person said he worked there, and they were stuffed with chicken and "sea treats". I found a picture of the building on a historical website, and listed on the window besides fried chicken, they also offered fried fish and shrimp. That has to be the sea treats.

One of the people that posted on that subject was the daughter of the people who started the franchise. She said although the business was named Miss Alma's, it was actually her daddy who developed the recipes in their home kitchen.

Now, stuffed peppers are tedious to make. And if a person were to have to buy chicken, fish and shrimp to make them, they wouldn't be profitable--too costly and time consuming. But if a restaurant had more chicken, fish and shrimp than they could sell and were about to have to throw it away, it makes sense to figure out a way to prevent that. You could grind or shred up the cooked meats, add seasonings and bread or cracker crumbs, plus a binder such as an egg or mayo, stuff it in the pepper, bread it and freeze it. Fry as needed. Voila, problem solved.

I'm thinking the filling tasted something like a crab cake or deviled crab, except made with chicken, fish and shrimp. There are things out there called armadillo eggs, but I believe those are made with just chicken and mostly stuffing, like maybe Stove Top--they seem to have that texture and taste, but it's been a very long time since I've even had one of thse. And they're bigger than Miss Alma's, like almost the size of a baseball, not what I'm looking for. Miss Alma's also used a smallish whole jalapeno, not a half like all the recipes for stuffed jalapenos now. The problem is that I can't remember what they tasted like, except they were great. I was in my early twenties, now I'm 66. Wish I had determined what they were back then, but I guess I wasn't into "cloning" at that time. ha

The franchise didn't last long, maybe 8 years. The original owners have passed away. If any living previous franchise owners still have the recipe, they're keeping it secret. I guess I would, too, if I'd had to pay a fortune to get it. But still, you know, all the leaks everywhere on the internet, I guess I'm surprised someone hasn't put it out there. All the stuffed pepper recipes everywhere, not one I could find that even resembled it. I find that odd. Most involve cheese and/or bacon. And most are naked, not coated. And most are baked.

So, I'm experimenting. I've collected every recipe I can find for crab cakes, fish cakes, seafood stuffing, deviled crab, etc. I think the main obstacle will be getting the seasonings just right. :cook

If anyone happens to have that little gem sitting around in their recipe box, don't hesitate to let me know! :lol

Messages In This Thread

Just want to ramble for a minute. I'm on a quest and can't find many hints.
Re: Just want to ramble for a minute. I'm on a quest and can't find many hints.
Thanks, n. Let me know if you hit pay dirt! *NM*
Re: Just want to ramble for a minute. I'm on a quest and can't find many hints.
That looks very tasty G'ma, thank you. But it's not exactly *LINK*
Re: That looks very tasty G'ma, thank you. But it's not exactly
Ya, they do scream. ha I've never had the nerve to cook a fresh
This is kind of the idea *LINK*