Kitchen Roundtable

Kouign-amann. It's a French pastry. Until 2 days ago, I had never heard of it. *LINK*

DH brought me a portion home, given a generous piece by one of his customers who made it herself.

I'm not suggesting you'd want to make it, but if you ever have a chance to taste it, please do! It's a laminated dough, much like croissants or puff pastry, so it's very involved. You guys know I don't like sweets/desserts, but this is amazing and addicting. I took a bite and wasn't that impressed...until after I chewed and swallowed it. Then a couple of minutes later, I took another bite. Then later, I took another bite. This morning, I ate the other 2 bites. We all know if you space those bites out long enough, the calories just go away... grin

The dough is rolled out and folded repeatedly with butter and sugar and babied in the refrigerator between butter and sugar treatments. The bottom becomes caramelized during baking. The bottom part becomes the crusty top when turned out after baking. It is soooooooooo good!

Messages In This Thread

Kouign-amann. It's a French pastry. Until 2 days ago, I had never heard of it. *LINK*
Re: Kouign-amann. It's a French pastry. Until 2 days ago, I had never heard of it.
Re: Kouign-amann. It's a French pastry. Until 2 days ago, I had never heard of it. *LINK*
Yeah, I knew it wasn't in English, but I picked that particular video because
If this comes up right, the one I had looked exactly like *LINK*
Re: If this comes up right, the one I had looked exactly like
Re: If this comes up right, the one I had looked exactly like
I think the customer houses a foreign exchange student who made it. *NM*
When your hand gets well, I'm hoping you'll make it
Hey, nancyo, I read that Central Market carries that pastry. You might call one and see. *NM*
Re: Hey, nancyo, I read that Central Market carries that pastry. You might call one and see.