Kitchen Roundtable

thank you, but I have made Hasselback potatoes before. It is not what I wanted. I did make a T & T

recipe I posted here several years ago. This is what I posted. I did not use any chicken, but did cut up about 1/4 cup of ham and sprinkled it on the first layer. I also used more cheese, leeks and garlic than required. I have made this many times and it was always well-received. Last night it was once again a hit!

Grape Pickers' Skillet with Chicken

Named for the "peasant" dish of layered potatoes encased in bacon, this dish was a favorite of grape pickers in France's Burgundy region.
Source: Cuisine at Home magazine
February 2011, Issue 85
Ingredients:

10 ounces bacon strips
2 Tablespoons minced fresh thyme
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup shaved Gruyere cheese, divided
salt and black pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup sliced leeks
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450.
Line an 8" cast iron skillet with bacon, covering the bottom and the sides and leaving a third of each strip hanging over sides.
Sprinkle thyme over bacon.
Layer half the potatoes onto bacon and thyme, covering the entire surface.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup Gruyere over potatoes; season with salt and pepper.
Repeat layering with chicken and 1/4 cup Gruyere.
Continue layering with leeks, garlic, remaining potato slices, salt, pepper, and remaining Gruyere.
Fold hanging pieces of bacon strips to the center of skillet, covering entire top.
Transfer skillet to stovetop and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Cover skillet with foil, transfer to oven, and roast 30 minutes.
Remove foil and roast until bacon is crisp and potatoes are fork-tender, 30 minutes more.
Let meal rest 10 minutes, then drain drippings and loosen edges to serve.

Posted by GourmetGal
January 16, 2011

When I made this dish, my pan was a 10" pan, rather than 8" and the bacon not only covered the bottom, but extended well into the center of the pan. This resulted in me having the whole top of the dish covered with bacon, rather than having the potatoes poke through between serving pieces. No one complained about all the extra bacon, however.

I used only 1/2 the thyme as it is a spice I use sparingly, but I could barely taste it, so will use the full amount next time I make this.
I added extra cheese (probably a full cup or more), and extra leeks, and twice as much garlic. Since I really only wanted a potato side dish, and not a full meal, I only used about 1/2 cup of the chicken. I used fresh chicken breasts, which I had poached. We couldn't even taste the chicken. I suggest if this is going to be used as a main dish to use at least 2 cups of chicken to get the taste of it. If it is a side dish, I would not even bother putting it in at all.

I intend to make this frequently as it was easy to put together once everything was chopped.

Messages In This Thread

ISO: Potatoes Augratin recipe
Re: ISO: Potatoes Augratin recipe *LINK*
Thanks Nancy, but I saw that one in the archives. It has too much liquid for what I want. *NM*
Re: ISO: Potatoes Augratin recipe
Re: ISO: Potatoes Augratin recipe *LINK*
Ilene and Irene's is more the line of what I want. The others have liquid in them which
:gg I think you might be referring to a Hssselback Potato
Re: Correction: Make that ^^^^^ a Hasselback Potato *NM*
thank you, but I have made Hasselback potatoes before. It is not what I wanted. I did make a T & T
Just an idea...