Kitchen Roundtable

Happy to share, Pat. My current one the pineapple/jalapeno, and it's not hot, but you could add

more jalapeno if you want.

The thing is, I've discovered there are some techniques that affect the final outcome that almost no one mentions. I don't really know how to go about this in a submitted recipe (would make it too long), so I'll put these techniques in this post.

Start from scratch with dried chickpeas, much better (and much cheaper) than canned. Soak them per instructions on the bag, and then cook. When they are done, drain and reserve the cooking water (in case you need it to thin the mixture), and then slip off and discard the skins. This takes maybe 10-20 minutes, depending on how much has been cooked, but it's so worth it in the long run. The skins will prevent your final product from being perfectly smooth and creamy. Right now, I'm experimenting using up a bag of chickpeas that expired in 2012 (!!!), so they are as dry as a bone. I soaked a batch for 3 days, changing the water every day (kept in the fridge). This proves that even very old beans can be salvaged. But a new-ish bag of beans should be ready after soaking overnight, I believe. After skinning them, then cook again for maybe another 30 minutes. Cook them to death, until they fall apart. The hummus will be smoother. That's the cooking tip for the beans...

Adding garlic, which is a "given" for hummus...we all know raw garlic is harsh and hot. Just peel a garlic clove and eat it, and you'll know this is true. This can be remedied by putting the chopped/pressed garlic in the lemon juice for 10 minutes or so to tame it before adding it to the hummus.

I realize this is much more info than most people want, EEEEeeeek! I'll post the recipe below.

A Primer here about hummus--http://hostthetoast.com/michael-solomonovs-perfect-hummus-tehina/

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Migas with Avocado Pico :oed *LINK* *PIC*
Re: :rectnt Migas with Avocado Pico
Jackfruit?! What have you been making with that?
I've never used jackfruit, was just reading about it in some
Re: Get those Spiralizers ready! It's a new recipe I want to try sometime
That just looks pretty good, Val, and it would save
cathyntx, would you share your current recipe for hummus? *NM*
For that matter, please share ANY T&T hummus recipes! I LOVE hummus!
LuAnn--Tips below, recipe above.
Happy to share, Pat. My current one the pineapple/jalapeno, and it's not hot, but you could add
Sorry, guess the recipe came out above instead of below. This is mostly tips! *NM*
Re: That just looks pretty good, Val, and it would save
Me, too, Val. :thup Although with some of the new