Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Dill Pickle Hummus :oed

Dill Pickle Hummus

I know, I know, this is heresy! But so are roasted beet hummus, sweet potato hummus and carrot hummus, and those flavors are produced by Lantana brand and don't even contain chickpeas. I happen to like pickles, so yeah, this is good.
Ingredients:
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (used about 1 1/2 cups chickpeas I had cooked from dried)

3/4 cup chopped dill pickles (1/2 cup IN the hummus, and 1/4 cup on top or stirred in at the end) plus 2 tablespoons brine

1/4 cup tahini

1 garlic clove, chopped

2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (used about a teaspoon dried dill, but fresh would be a lot better)

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Water, if needed

Instructions:
Combine the chickpeas, 1/2 cup of the pickles, pickle brine, tahini, garlic, dill, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and process until smooth (you may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula).

With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.

If the hummus is too thick, add a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.

Transfer the hummus to a bowl and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of pickles. (I just put them on top in the middle, for garnish.)

Makes an average-size tub of store bought hummus, filled to capacity, probably 12-14 oz.

I used MT. Olive Kosher Dill Spears (like Vlasic). Only used about a teaspoon or so of olive oil, since it was blending nicely and didn't need it. Next time I make it, I may use the entire 3/4 cup of chopped pickles in the hummus and add additional minced pickle to the top for garnish. It was a nice pickle flavor, but I think I might like more. Used Garlic and Chive Pita Crackers from Aldi for dipping. Really complimentary flavors.

Source:
http://turniptheoven.com/dill-pickle-hummus/

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Dill Pickle Hummus :oed
Re: :rectnt Dill Pickle Hummus
Re: :rectnt Dill Pickle Hummus
This sounds delicious to me, Cathy! Thank you! *NM*
You're welcome, LuAnn *NM*