Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Meringues with Lemon Curd Ice Cream and Blueberry sauce :oed

Meringues with Lemon Curd Ice Cream and Blueberry sauce

Takes time to make, but the meringues may be made way ahead of time and stored up to a month in an airtight container.
Ingredients:
MERINGUES
1 cup confectioners' sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

4 large egg whites, room temperature

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

ICE CREAM
1 quart premium vanilla ice cream

3/4 cup (about 10 oz.)store-bought lemon curd

FILLING
1 21-ounce can blueberry pie filling

1/2 teaspoon finally grated lemon zest

2 Tablespoos juice from 1 lemon

1 pint (2cups) fresh blueberries

1/2 cup water

Instructions:
Meringues: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, heat overn to 200.

Cut parchment to fit two cookie sheets, crumble the paper, then smooth it out again and line sheets to prevent sticking. Using a cookie cutter or custard cup as a guide, draw 8-3 1/2inch circles on the parchment.

Whisk sugars and cornstach, set aside.

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until they turn from foamy to white an the beaters just start to leave a trail, about 3 minutes/

On low speed, add sugar mixture, a heaping tablespoon at a time. Increse speed to meium-high and beat to the consistency of marshmallow cream, 2 or 3 minutes longer.

Drop a heaping 1/3 cup of meringue into each circle, and use an offset or rbber spatula to spread out meringue to form disks.

Bake for 2 hours, then turn off the oven an oven light, let dry overnight (do NOT open oven door). Peel meringues off parchment, store in airtight container

Microwave ice cream on high until just pliable, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl: fold in lemon curd with a rubber spatula. Return to freezer to firm up.

Cook pie filling, lemon zest and juice, fresh bleeberries and 1/2 water in a medium saucepan until bubbly. Cover and keep warm.

Set a meringue on a dessert plate. Top with a scoop of icecream, then spoon on warm blueberry sauce.

1. I put the ice cream in the fridge for awhile instead of trying the microwave. Used Lactaid ice cream. Made the mixture a day or so ahead of time. Stored it in my old Tupperware ice cream box!
2. I should have made the meringues a few days ahead of time. I only needed 1 cookie sheet for the 8 meringues. I don't think you need to crinkle parchment paper....but I followed directions.
3. The recipe made way too much sauce. I would think the pie filling would be enough, maybe toss in 1 cup of fresh berries? The lemon flavor in the ice cream and sauce was really nice.

A refreshing summer dessert that every one enjoyed at our dinner group.

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Meringues with Lemon Curd Ice Cream and Blueberry sauce :oed