1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar, divided
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fat-free skim milk
2 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8" square baking pan with cooking spray.(I used a 9" round) ceramic tart baking dish.)

In a large bowl, combine peaches (or fruit of your choice) 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Mix well and spoon mixture into prepared pan.

To prepare dough:

In a large bowl or food processor, (I did it by hand) combine flour, 2 Tablespoons of sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add butter and mix with your fingers or process in the food processor until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.

Add sour cream and milk and mix until dough comes together.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 5 times until blended.

Divide dough into 16 equal pieces (they will be slightly smaller than golf balls) and roll each piece into a small ball. Place balls on top of fruit mixture and gently press down to flatten. (I didn't flatten them, as I wanted the effect of a ball on top)

Brush the surface of the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tablespoon of sugar. (I use the very coarse sugar for cookie decorating. and have used the Fall colors for a different effect.)

Bake until filling is bubbly and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving. Yields about 6 - 8 servings

Notes:

I used 7 large peaches, sliced, for an 8" square pan. You should use more if you are making a 9" x 13 pan. Don't worry about how many, just pile them as high as you want, same way you would do if making a pie.)

If dough is too sticky to be able to knead it, add a few tablespoons of flour as needed.

Watch your cooking time as it only took 40 minutes in my oven.

Variations:

Use your favorite custard sauce recipe (or canned) to add to the peach mixture before adding cobbler topping.

For Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler, use 16 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed for 15 minutes and 14 ounces frozen rhubarb (thawed for 15 minutes) or fresh, cut into 1 inch pieces.

Use 6 - 8 cups of blueberries or other fruit.

GourmetGal
September 10, 2018

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Peach Cobbler :oed
Re: :rectnt Peach Cobbler
I have made it with blueberries and we loved it. The problem is, that even with this small