Kitchen Roundtable

The Bread Recipe

This is a bread recipe I have NEVER shared so please do not post it on Facebook. I will never post it on Facebook and I have never published it in my weekly column. I am sharing it here with my KRT friends only.

The bread recipe (makes 1 loaf of bread)

1 cup warm water (microwave about 45 seconds) it should be warm to the touch, but not too hot.
1 pkg fast acting yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
Put water, oil, sugar, and salt in mixer bowl. Check warm temp with touching bowl. If temp is okay, add yeast. If too hot, add 1/2 c. flour. Mix with the paddle on the mixer. Then check temp and add yeast. (I used a stainless steel mixer bowl, the same one I make the salads in.) I donít have one of those Kitchenaid mixers that Teresa uses. I did not have to add Ĺ cup flour, my microwave is not that hot.)

Continue to add flour 1 cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl --- a total of 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups. (I used 3 cups of flour.)

Switch to the dough hook. Mix for 5 minutes or remove dough from bowl and knead by hand for about 5 minutes.
(I donít have a dough hook. I sprayed Pam on my clean hands and kneaded the dough by hand like I always do leaving in it a ball in the bottom of the stainless steel mixing bowl.)

Put on floured surface to rise --- double in size. I left it in the mixing bowl and put a sheet of wax paper over the top and a dish towel on top. This creates a dark warm environment for the yeast to raise. I sprayed Pam on my hands and puched it down and put it in a ball back in the stainless steel mixing bowl. This time it rose to the top of the bowl and stuck on the wax paper covering. The dough was a great texture with a nice elasticity when I punched it down the second time. It felt great.

Punch down, then shape into a loaf of french bread. Let rise again until double in size. I only let it rise twice, not three times. The bread might have been a little lighter in texture if I had let it rise a third time but as much yeast bread as I have made over the years I thought it was perfect. It was so elastic that when I tried to pull it out into a longer french roll it kept pulling back. The texture was a little heavy but itís up to you whether you want to lay it on the baking pan and let it rise a third time and then punch it down or just cook it. This was the first time I made this recipe. I may try letting it raise three times to see what happens when I make it again, but we liked it so I might not
change anything.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350. Since it was fatter and thicker than the long French bread shape I let it stay in 30 minutes to make sure it was done. If you make a longer thinner loaf it may be done in shorter time.

I think this dough would make great pizza, yeast rolls, Kingís cake, or cinnamon bread.

Enjoy!

I realize it is not in the recipe form format but you can follow this to make it and it has notes and observations with it.

Messages In This Thread

The Bread Recipe
Thank you Pat for sharing. As for the format, I think the ones of us left here are not
Good to know
Re: Thank you Pat for sharing. As for the format, I think the ones of us left here are not
Re: The Bread Recipe
Thanks so much for sharing your bread recipe, Pat! *NM*