Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Napa Cabbage Salad :oed

Napa Cabbage Salad

My neighbor's son cooks for a charity organization, and he often brings her produce they are told to toss out, so she shares with me. Then I share with her some of what I make with it. Last month, among other things she brought me a Napa cabbage, so I had to look up a recipe to use. Wowser, this is the bomb! She called me yesterday for the recipe and raved about it. Our daughter loved it, too.

It's posted at Allrecipes (link in the Parting Shots below), where there is a helpful instructional video to get you started. Only thing I have to say is I go ahead and break the leaves off to wash them individually first, then lay them back together to shred them. Napa often has lots of dirt and grit in between the leaves.

Ingredients:
1 head Napa cabbage

1 bunch (about 6) minced green onions

1/4 cup butter

1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, broken (I pound them lightly with the smooth side of a meat mallet before opening the package)

2 Tablespoons sesame seeds

1 cup slivered almonds

1/4 cup cider vinegar

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup white sugar

2 Tablespoons soy sauce

dry seasoning packet from the noodle package (optional, my addition)

Instructions:
Finely shred the head of cabbage; do not chop.

Combine the green onions and cabbage in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Make the crunchies: Melt the butter in a pot.

Mix the ramen noodles, sesame, seeds and almonds into the pot with the melted butter, further breaking up the noodles and stirring to coat well.

Spoon the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake the crunchies in the preheated 350 degrees F. oven, turning often to make sure they do not burn.

When they are browned (about 5-7 minutes or so), remove them from the oven and allow to cool.

Make the dressing: In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, oil, sugar, seasoning packet and soy sauce.

Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and let cool.

Combine dressing, crunchies and cabbage immediately before serving. Serve right away or the crunchies will get soggy.

Notes:
The original recipe called for 1/3 c. butter, but 1/4 works just as well.

The crunchies can be made ahead of time and kept in a sealed jar or other container. The dressing can also be made ahead of time and kept in a jar in the fridge. Shake well before using.

Source:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18517/napa-cabbage-salad/

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Napa Cabbage Salad :oed
In the fifth line under the instructions, there is a punctuation mistake.
Re: In the fifth line under the instructions, there is a punctuation mistake.
And we all thank you, Nancy! *NM*
:thanks *NM*