Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Napa Cabbage Salad :oed

Napa Cabbage Salad

The Napa cabbage in this salad is one thing that makes it special, something interesting about the texture, much easier to chew than regular salad. And the "crunchies" plus the dressing, oh my!

Everyone in my family LOVES this salad, except one granddaughter who doesn't like almonds.

Ingredients:
1 head Napa cabbage
1 bunch (about 6) minced green onions
1/4 cup butter
1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, broken
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
dry seasoning packet from the noodle pkg., optional
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
Instructions:
Finely shred the head of cabbage; do not chop.

Combine the green onions and cabbage in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Make the crunchies: Melt the butter in a pot.

Mix the ramen noodles, sesame seeds and almonds into the pot with the melted butter, further breaking up the noodles and stirring to coat well.

Spoon the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake the crunchies in the preheated 350 degrees F. oven, turning often to make sure they do not burn.

When they are browned (about 5-7 minutes or so), remove them from the oven and allow to cool.

Make the dressing: In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, oil, sugar, seasoning packet and soy sauce.

Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and let cool.

Combine dressing, crunchies, and cabbage immediately before serving.

Serve right away or the crunchies will get soggy (and that isn't really a deal-breaker, as the salad is still good, just not as crunchy).

Notes: The original recipe called for 1/3 cup butter, but 1/4 cup works just as well. Also, the original didn't mention using the seasoning packet from the noodles, but I have another recipe similar to this one that uses it, so I put it in the dressing.

Since we like this so much, I make up a whole bagful of "crunchies" (stored in the freezer so they won't go rancid), and I make a large amount of dressing, stored in the fridge. Huge timesaver, just chop cabbage and onions, done!

Source:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18517/napa-cabbage-salad/ video included

Messages In This Thread

Made a banana crunch cake this morning
:rectnt Napa Cabbage Salad :oed
I don't know anything about kidney friendly diets,
Re: I make this one but without the seasoning packet from the
:thup *NM*
Kidney friendly meals?
Re: Kidney friendly meals?
We all should eat that way, kidney problem or not.