Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt LuAnn's Tortellini Soup with Prosage and Spinach (Score: 5+) :oed

LuAnn's Tortellini Soup with Prosage and Spinach (Score: 5+)

Thought of this soup when I saw Val's request for our favorite spinach recipes.

So, what is "Prosage" you might ask? It's a vegetarian sausage alternative made by Worthington Foods. You could also substitute an equivalent amount of thawed (comes in the freezer section) crumbled or diced MorningStar Farms vegetarian Original Sausage Patties. (You know you won't see me recommending the use of real sausage! LOL)

This is a FAVORITE soup in our family. In fact, Walter (DH) exclaimed at one time that this was the "best soup EVER!" (And he loves my soups).

Ingredients:

Soup:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (48-ounce) can tomato juice
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 cups water (use to rinse cans)
2 (1.5-ounce) packets spaghetti sauce seasoning mix (I use McCormick or Meijer brand)
2 Tablespoons freeze-dried basil (or 1 Tablespoon dried basil)
1 Tablespoon McKay’s chicken-style seasoning (a vegetarian chicken-like bouillon powder)
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
1 (19-ounce) bag frozen cheese tortellini
1 pound Worthington Foods Prosage (this is a frozen vegetarian sausage substitute), thawed, crumbled or diced
4 to 6 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed or 1/2 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach

Add when serving, if desired:
1 (8-ounce) package shredded Mozzarella cheese OR vegan non-dairy Mozzarella cheese substitute

Instructions:

In a large kettle, preheat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion until translucent.
Add the garlic; saute another 1 or 2 minutes.
Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the spinach and optional cheese. (If using FROZEN spinach, go ahead and add it now also).
Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook gently for 15 minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked.
Stir in the spinach leaves; continue cooking another 5 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted, but still bright green.
Ladle into bowls.
If desired, serve topped with cheese(s).

Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II.

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt LuAnn's Tortellini Soup with Prosage and Spinach (Score: 5+) :oed
A little late for National Spinach Day; but, here's one of our favorites ^^^ *NM*
Other favorites - these in the archives...
Good to see you, LuAnn!
Thank you! I see it's up top now...I'll go copy and save it! *NM*