Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt LuAnn's Twist on Orange-Almond Salad (also contains spinach and strawberries) :oed

LuAnn's Twist on Orange-Almond Salad (also contains spinach and strawberries)

This discussion about spinach and more recently spinach and strawberries in salad reminded me of a T&T recipe I could share... Cathy, we can trade recipes!

You all may remember me and my love of cookbooks.... As if my hundreds (well over a thousand) aren't enough, a couple of years ago, I purchased a carton of assorted used, local, fund-raising-type cookbooks from eBay. This is a delicious recipe I gleaned from one of those books, First Colony Church of Christ Cookbook; Dedicated to the Ankole Mission Team.

My twist on this recipe has become one of my favorite salads - so delectable, I could enjoy it as dessert! -LuAnn

Ingredients:
Dressing:
1/4 cup salad oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon almond extract

Salad:
4 cups mixed greens (include some spinach)
1 can mandarin oranges, drained (I use fresh peeled and clementines, broken into sections)
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1 package slivered almonds (I use honey-roasted sliced almonds)

Instructions:
To make dressing:
Combine oil, sugar, vinegar, salt and almond extract in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Cover and shake well to dissolve sugar and salt.
Chill.

To assemble salad*:
Combine the salad ingredients.
Pour dressing over and toss gently.

The way I present this salad is to place a bed of greens (including spinach!) on individual salad plates, divide and arrange the oranges and strawberries artfully atop the greens, drizzle the dressing over the salads, then lastly sprinkle the almonds over the top. It is beautiful and SO good!

Recipe adapted by LuAnn Bermeo from First Colony Church of Christ Cookbook, a fund-raising cookbook published in the late 90's to support their Ankole Mission project, which celebrated it's 20th anniversary in 2017.

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt LuAnn's Twist on Orange-Almond Salad (also contains spinach and strawberries) :oed