Kitchen Roundtable

It's all the fast food and junk food and fake food

mass farming practices and other things that are making us sick, not animal fat.

Fat doesn't cause heart disease or make us fat. Carbohydrates (starches and sugars) are the problem. They are very inflammatory. They cause insulin spikes to lower the blood sugar they contain. High blood sugar cause a process called glycation, which damages blood cells and vessel walls. When the vessel walls get damaged, cholesterol rushes to the scene to protect the wall lining. That's how the cholesterol theory originated. Yes, the cholesterol is in there, but it didn't just get there by accident. It's there to protect us from damage (caused by inflammation, see above). Somebody (Ancel Keys) jumped to conclusions. You don't blame the firemen for the fire just because they're at the scene. And we've swallowed the Kool-Aid for the last 5 decades, but heart disease is still the leading cause of death. We just traded off eating fat for eating junk. But thank goodness, we have lower cholesterol now!!! (Sarcasm)

Cholesterol is an essential element for our lives. It has many functions in the body, including repair and in the manufacture of hormones. The liver makes it. If we don't eat what we need, the liver will produce more anyway. Contrary to what the medical community seems to think, our bodies were made to heal themselves. God isn't stupid, and He didn't make us with stupid bodies. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

Speaking of liver, it used to be consumed regularly in the average household decades ago, but that practice has sadly been mostly abandoned. Too bad. Liver is the most nutrient dense food on the planet.

As far as meat fat goes, try to get the best quality, preferably local and grass-fed, but I know that's not always available or affordable.

This is not an essay extolling the virtues of eating meat. I realize some are vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, etc., and that's fine. I'm just saying, if you eat meat and like the fat, don't avoid it because of cholesterol or the fear of gaining weight. Carbs are the problem.

And you're welcome, nancyo :nancyo

Messages In This Thread

OT: Put dressing on your salad
Re: OT: Put dressing on your salad
It's all the fast food and junk food and fake food
I agree. I can still find a good steak with fat on it. In grocery stores, you can certainly get
Smart to order it on the side, GG. It doesn't take much fat