Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Wine Chicken :oed

It has been a while since I have posted a recipe. This is a very old one and I am surprised I have never posted it before. I think I posted it on TSR or CNC, but it is not on KRT that I can find. I made it for our friends Saturday night when jea was here and I would like to share it with you.

This was a family recipe. My Mom usually baked this in the oven. In the summer, my Dad always made it on the grill. It is actually supposed to be "Broiled Chicken", but my family always called it "WINE CHICKEN", to differentiate it from my mother's other broiled chicken recipes since the marinade has wine in it. You can use any type of chicken parts with it. The longer you marinate it, the better it is! The original recipe from my grandmother never had amounts, and eventually, after experimenting, I came up with this recipe which is just about right!

WINE CHICKEN

Cut chicken into halves or quarters, or use whatever pieces desired. Marinate in mixture of olive oil, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, paprika and a 1/2 glass of white wine (sherry). Let marinate overnight. When ready to cook, pour mixture over chicken, basting frequently. Broil in drip pan at 350F for one hour or longer until done.

The above was the recipe! No real amounts! So after watching my Mom make it when I was a kid, and then experimenting myself years later, I finally figured it out. I came up with these amounts and this is what I always use. You may want to double the recipe if you are making a large quantity of chicken.

Marinade Ingredients;

2/3 cups olive oil (Olive oil congeals when refrigerated, so you can use something else if you like. I use olive oil, but try to stir it up every few hours so it doesn't stay congealed. I have also just used Crisco oil. I don't think it really makes a noticeable difference in taste.)

2/3 cup wine (I usually use sherry, but have used any white wine I have on hand)
1 tsp. garlic powder (can also add chopped garlic for extra garlic flavor)
1 Tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. paprika

Just blend the above ingredients and pour over chicken, coating all pieces. Refrigerate it all overnight. Broil in the marinade, basting every 15 minutes or so. It is even better if cooked on the grill, but I usually don't have time to do that.

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Wine Chicken :oed
I make something like this, but with an equal amt. of lemon juice added to marinade. It's Greek chic