Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Brothy Pasta with Chickpeas :oed

Brothy Pasta with Chickpeas

I made this recipe, which appeared in Bon Appetit magazine this month and all of us enjoyed it. I served it with garlic bread and ideally would've also added a salad. (Hadn't thought far enough ahead to have everything on hand for a salad). I would not describe it as a "brothy" dish; the pasta quickly soaked up much of the liquid.

Not everyone cares for rosemary. I'm sure you could replace it with herbs more to your liking. I used the rosemary, but also added oregano and bay leaves. If you don't care for or happen to have chickpeas, I think any white bean (navy, Great Northern, Cannellini) could be substituted.

The recipe didn't note a yield. I doubled the recipe, which made 6 generous servings; so, I would guess that a single recipe would make 4 moderate servings. -LuAnn

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 small onion, finely chopped
Kosher salt (I just used sea salt)
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 sprig rosemary (I also added 2 bay leaves and about 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
1 cup whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand (I used canned crushed tomatoes)
6 ounces orechiette or other short pasta (I used the orechiette)
4 cups water (I used vegetable broth)
2 Tablespoons finely chopped parsley
3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan, pus more for serving (I used vegan Parmesan)
Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.

Add garlic and cook. stirring occasionally until onion and garlic are very tender and just beginning to brown around the edges, about 5 minutes.

Add rosemary and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add chickpeas and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. (When using canned crushed tomatoes, which are already, I just added the chickpeas and tomatoes; but, didn't need to cook them to thicken the tomatoes before going on to the next step).

Add pasta and water (or vegetable broth) to saucepan. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking, until pasta is al dente, 13 to 16 minutes, depending on shape.

Stir in parsley and 3 tablespoons Parmesan; season with salt.

Pluck out and discard rosemary sprig (and bay leaves, if used).

Ladle pasta and broth into bowls. Drizzle with more oil. Season with lots of black pepper and top with more Parmesan.

Source: Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, October, 2019. (No ingredients changed).
Posted by LuAnn Bermeo. All comments in parentheses are mine.

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Brothy Pasta with Chickpeas :oed
Here's a photo of the Brothy Pasta with Chickpeas *PIC*
Re: Here's a photo of the Brothy Pasta with Chickpeas *LINK*