Kitchen Roundtable

Oh, and by the way, I guess you already know not to use tap water

or table salt. Instead, filtered, spring or distilled water and a salt with no additives. I use Himalayan pink salt now instead of Kosher. Actually, if you're just doing sauerkraut, you may not need to add any water. It depends on how fresh the cabbage is and how much juice it releases when you're massaging it. Sometimes mine is a little stingy, and I have to top off the jar with a bit of 2% brine. I've read that cabbage harvested in the fall is juicier, but since I'm sort of new at this, I don't have enough experience to know. And who knows how long it takes for cabbage to be harvested and get to your store or how long it's been sitting in the store.

And I always weigh the cabbage AND the salt. I use to try the old "3 tablespoons of salt to 5 pounds of cabbage" thing, but now I weigh everything. A quart jar holds about 1 3/4 pounds, which is about 800 grams. Here, I copied this from another website--

"2% salt by weight (using a digital scale set to grams)
16 grams of salt for 800 grams vegetables to make 1 quart of sauerkraut. First, weigh your vegetables in grams and then multiply by .02 (that is, 2%) to get the required amount of salt in grams (for example, 800 grams of vegetables would require 16 grams of salt). If you are measuring large batches of vegetables (that is, more than 5 pounds at a time), you’ll want to invest in a digital scale and also weigh your salt. The size of salt crystals vary, so measuring them with a measuring spoon may not always result in a successful fermentation, especially with commercial sized batches."

From what I have read, the salt content can be adjusted more or less, anywhere from 1.5% to 2.5%, but right now, I'm just sticking with 2%.

And the red cabbage I put up yesterday is already bubbling away, YAY! It's alive! :lol

Messages In This Thread

Anyone make sauerkraut or any other fermented foods?
My experiences have all been failures...
Oh, Pat, I do hope you try it again!! Canned sauerkraut has been heated *LINK*
A video showing how to use the Pickle Pusher-- *LINK*
Oh, and by the way, I guess you already know not to use tap water
I've copied and saved your notes, and looked at the video and Wildbrine links...
Canning/pickling salt is just fine, as it has nothing added
:thup *NM*