Kitchen Roundtable

Hard-boiled eggs--recently we had a discussion, and I said I wouldn't be using an instant pot

for that purpose. Well, I've changed my mind.

The eggs I buy are the hardest to peel of any eggs I've ever bought, no matter how old they are. Not only are the shells thick, which is okay by me, but the thin membrane between the shell and the eggs won't let go of either one, so I rarely ever get an egg that would look decent enough for a deviled egg tray for guests.

Just last week, I was reading a thread somewhere, and quite a few people mentioned using an instant pot because the eggs peel so much easier. So, well, you know me--I had to know...

I don't own an instant pot, but I've used my same old Presto pressure cooker since at least 1975. I got the thing out this evening, put some water in, put my stainless steel steamer basket in, placed the (cold) eggs on it attached the lid and the rocker, and cranked the thing up. When the rocker started jiggling, I cooked them for 4 minutes, turned off the heat, moved the cooker to a cooler grate to eliminate residual heat, and then I let the cooker do its own release, which was about 6 minutes. I was going to stop it at 6 minutes by running water over the top if it hadn't released by that time anyway.

Then I took the pot to the sink, removed the lid, and ran cold water over them. Two of them had cracks in the shells, but nothing leaked out; they were perfectly intact. I ran faucet water over them as I cracked and peeled them. Each one peeled almost perfectly. I did get a small gouge in one of them (maybe my fault, as I was in a hurry), but it was such a success, I will be dragging out the pressure cooker from now on when I do hard-boiled eggs. They peeled wonderfully, and it was probably 10 minutes faster than waiting for a whole pan of water to boil and then waiting another 15 minutes for the eggs to sit in the water and finish cooking.

To anyone who uses an instant pot, I can't guarantee it will be quicker. I've read some things about how long it takes for it to heat, maybe because they're electric? Mine is just a plain old pressure cooker, and we have a gas cooktop, which, when you turn on the burner, you have heat right away. So I don't know about that part. But I'm thrilled to pieces to finally have eggs that will peel without a million pock marks and mangling the whites in the peeling process!

Bear in mind, this was my first try, so no guarantees offered. But I will be doing this again and hoping it works this well every time.

So, PatM, the thread you started back in January and the responses it got (especially from GG, whose DIL uses the instant pot for hard-boiled eggs, when I was :huh ) stayed in the back of my mind and then perked right back up when I read the other thread just by accident later (on reddit, maybe) about how well the eggs peel in the instant pot. Thanks for bringing it up! :hurray

Messages In This Thread

Hard-boiled eggs--recently we had a discussion, and I said I wouldn't be using an instant pot
Re: Hard-boiled eggs--recently we had a discussion, and I said I wouldn't be using an instant pot
I do the exact same thing, nancyo. When I switched to this
Re: I do the exact same thing, nancyo. When I switched to this
I guess they eat better? Free-range and organic. I may switch to something else.
That's good to know, Cathy. I read the directions for my Instant Pot and say, not today. *LINK*
Pat, I don't have anything to offer about pressure cookers, sorry.
If you don't have a pressure cooker, I have had very good luck steaming eggs for easy peeling, even
Thanks, Di, I did do that when you posted it previously, but I haven't