Kitchen Roundtable

Hi. We are doing well. We were in MI until the 14th of March. We left a day earlier than we had
In Response To: Happy to see you, Jill! ()

planned when we saw how serious Covid19 was becoming. We both figured we would rather be in our home where we could keep busy and also close to our own doctors if we got sick. With me falling into at least 3 of the at-risk factors, I did not want to take chances. But we apparently were not exposed as we have remained healthy. I even dared to go to a haircut on Monday the 16th and for groceries on the 17th. Governor Cuomo closed down almost everything here a day or so later. It is inconvenient, but I believe the best for everyone, even people in other states. I have always been proactive with my grocery shopping (including paper products, buying T.P. in the 30 roll pack as a regular item on my shopping list), so before I ever heard of Coronovirus, I had plenty of frozen foods in my 6 foot upright freezer and my 2 refrigerator/freezers; as well as canned goods and pantry supply at 3/4 capacity, and I have enough t.p. and paper towels to last at least a month, and it wasn't hoarded!. That has been there since before Christmas! When I need to replenish perishable things like bread, milk, eggs, Amy insists on going out for them. She gets it, comes to our house and knocks on the outside wall, then leaves them on the porch, staying 10 feet away while we go out to get them. I call her Gestapoamy, but she told me she doesn't want us to get sick. She is the one grounding us, but she told me she WILL allow me to use my phone and watch TV, unlike I did when she was grounded. LOL!

Today we took Frank's car out for a ride just to run it for a few minutes. We drove through the village, and did a loop around it to get back to our house, never getting out of the car until we got back home. We will do the same with my car in a couple of days.

My sister is an excellent seamstress ( she makes curtains and drapes as a side business, made all her daughters' prom dresses, veils for brides, christening dresses, patchwork quilts, aprons, etc.) She is now making masks for donating to places that need them and for her friends with health issues. She made me one, just in case I need to go out for some reason. She had to stop a week or so ago because she ran out of the elastic she uses, but she just wrote me today that a friend's niece gave her a spool of 288 yards, and she is back at her sewing machine again. She is now making them for all my kids and the 3 little granddaughters, even though they only play in their yard and not with other children. The older 2 girls do not even go outside, but use social media to see their friends.

That same sister, and another in NC have met with the shortage of yeast you mentioned. They both make bread weekly so were also shocked when the shelves in all the stores near them were empty. I was going to have my daughter mail them some, but they found it before she had a chance to get it for them.

Frank had a couple of virtual doctor appointments last week. Even his surgeon following up on his shoulder surgery. He used videochat to see how far he can move his arm, etc. He helps friends remotely repairing their computer software, but is getting antsy because he can't golf. His golf group is planning on doing it, but he doesn't want to chance it, even though they say they are practicing social distancing.

As for me, I do not get bored. I have plenty to do at home. I read a lot, watch some TV, and have been working on things I have been needing to do for years - making myself a medical binder, organizing our custodial accounts for our granddaughters, making a cookie recipe box for a friend who asked me if I would give her some of my cookie recipes, and just going through old pictures, recipes, and papers to file, or to recycle or shred a lot of them. Usually I'm not home long enough with a big enough block of time to do some of these things. I even have been washing windows and starting Spring cleaning. If it wasn't for the circumstances of hundreds of people being sick and dying every day and not being able to see my kids, granddaughters and friends, I'd be perfectly content.

Sorry this is so long, but I haven't checked in for ages! It sounds like most of you are staying healthy and safe. My best to all of you.

Messages In This Thread

Just for fun, Let's do this. You're in Lockdown
Re: Just for fun, Let's do this. You're in Lockdown
Re: :thup sounds Good! TFS *NM*
Re: Just for fun, Let's do this. You're in Lockdown
Happy to see you, Jill!
Thank you.
Oh, just piddlin'. I'm looking into making some face masks, maybe. *NM*
Re: Oh, just piddlin'. I'm looking into making some face masks, maybe. *NM* *LINK*
Re: Oh, just piddlin'. I'm looking into making some face masks, maybe. *NM* *LINK*
The first one I did was this one...
Re: Oh, just piddlin'. I'm looking into making some face masks, maybe. *LINK*
All good ideas, thanks. I noticed yesterday some videos *LINK*
Hi. We are doing well. We were in MI until the 14th of March. We left a day earlier than we had