Kitchen Roundtable

Re: Do you wash your grocery items?

I normally did not wipe down cans and boxes when I returned from grocery shopping. I had a friend who would wash every can before putting them in her cupboards. Since a lot of my items are stored on built-in shelving on the stairway going down into my basement, and tend to get dusty before I use them, I do wash them before I open them.

I haven't bought much since this crisis started. Of the few things my daughter has picked up for me, I do wipe them down with antibacterial wipes. (Cartons of milk and eggs, a bottle of orange juice and a box of cereal) As for fresh fruits and vegetables, I am staying away from them "until further notice". I WAS getting all of them at a produce market where you pick out a handful of green beans, brussell sprouts, okra, etc. Larger items are also sold that way. A head of lettuce is wrapped, but not a bunch of romaine, bibb or leaf lettuce or broccoli or red and green peppers and most fruits. I bought some of that 3 weeks ago, but now I don't think I want to pick up those things that someone with the virus might have handled. But most of that is gone. We will use the frozen things I have and when they run out, we will do without.

I think even when this is deemed"over" many people will continue to wash items just to "be better safe than sorry".

Messages In This Thread

Do you wash your grocery items?
Re: Do you wash your grocery items?
I normally didn't wash groceries, either, but this
You too Cathy! I did respond to a post several days before this one where you asked
Some...
I've let up a little now. I figure germs on solid things will inactivate over several days. I hope! *NM*