Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Amy's Chicken Enchiladas :oed

Amy's Chicken Enchiladas

Small disclaimer: As many here know, I don't eat meat and rarely eat eggs or dairy, so I had to make several changes to the recipe when I prepared it. However, I am sharing it as it appears in my cookbook, with just an additional note here and there. My veganized version was scrumptious; so, these enchiladas must be out of this world made as written!
Ingredients:
2 whole chicken breast (skin on)
3 Tablespoons cooking oil
2 medium diced yellow onions
4 chopped Anaheim green chilies (you can used canned diced green chilies)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 minced garlic cloves
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (4-ounce) can sliced black olives
1 pint (2 cups) sour cream
3 cups grated Colby/Jack cheese (or a Mexican blend)
1/2 cup scallions (green onions)
1 package large flour tortillas (you will need about 8)

Optional garnish/accompaniments: Shredded lettuce, Chopped tomatoes, Salsa, Sour cream and Guacamole

Instructions:
1. Boil chicken until cooked. Cool and shred meat off the bone.

2. In the cooking oil, saute chicken with the onions, green chilies, cilantro, chili powder, cumin and garlic over medium heat until the onions are transparent. (If mixture begins to dry out, add a small amount of water).

3. Mix together condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.

4. Spray coat a 9x13-inch baking dish and spread a thin layer of cream mixture on bottom.

5. Stuff tortillas with 2 heaping spoonfuls of chicken mixture, 3 level spoonfuls of cream mixture, a few olive slices and sprinkle some cheese. Roll up tortilla into burrito form and place in baking dish.

6. Evenly spread remaining cream mixture on top of the enchiladas and top with remaining cheese, black olives and scallions.

7. Spray a piece of foil with pan coat and cover (spray side down). Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes and let stand for 10 minutes before serving

8. If desired, serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

FOR CHICKEN QUESADILLAS: Combine stuffing ingredients and melt shredded cheese on a large flour tortilla. When cheese is almost melted add the chicken mixture and fold tortilla in half, browning both sides. Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.

Source: Posted by LuAnn Bermeo; recipe from one of my cookbooks, Recipes from the Rim: A Collection of Recipes from the Community Members of Grand Canyon National Park, 2004. Recipe submitted by Amy S. Tacey.

Messages In This Thread

:rectnt Amy's Chicken Enchiladas :oed
Chicken?! No, I haven't converted! I'm still a vegetarian, usually "vegan"...