Kitchen Roundtable

:rectnt Low Carb Italian Cream Cake :oed

Low Carb Italian Cream Cake

There are no words to describe this luscious cake. Luscious will just have to do. It looks like a lot of trouble, but it really isn't, except it uses three bowls for mixing. WELL WORTH IT!!!

I cut the recipe in half and only made one layer for several reasons: (1) I usually always cut a recipe the first time, in case we don't like it. (2) I only had one 8" cake pan (3) I didn't have enough coconut to make the whole recipe. One layer is just fine and probably easier to manage anyway. But if I were making it for a party or special occasion, it would look prettier and serve more to have two layers.

I don't even like sweets (or coconut!), but this thing is THE BOMB!

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 1/2 cup almond flour (not almond meal)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, room temperature, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup Swerve Sweetener (granulated)
1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener, (confectioner’s) (the original recipe said 1 cup, but many reviewers said it was too much, and I'm glad I cut it down)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature

Garnish:
2 Tablespoons shredded coconut, lightly toasted
2 Tablespoons chopped pecans, lightly toasted

Instructions:
Cake:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease two 8 inch or 9 inch round cake pans very well (the 8 inch pans will take a little longer to cook, but the layers will be higher and I think they will look better). Line the pans with parchment paper and grease the paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, shredded coconut, chopped pecans, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they hold stiff peaks.

In another large bowl, beat the butter with the sweetener until well combined. Add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the heavy cream and vanilla extract.

Beat the almond flour mixture into the butter mixture until just combined. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans and spread to the edges. Bake 30 to 45 minutes (or longer, depending on your pans and your oven), until the cakes are golden on the edges and firm to the touch in the middle.

Remove and let cool completely in the pans, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Remove the parchment from the layers if it comes out with them.

Frosting:
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Beat in the sweetener and vanilla extract until well combined.

Slowly add the heavy whipping cream until a spreadable consistency is achieved. May not need all of it.

To Assemble:
Place the bottom layer on a serving plate and cover the top with about 1/3 of the frosting. Add the next layer and frost the top and the sides. Garnish and refrigerate at least 1/2 hour to set before serving. Store in the refrigerator.

Yield:
Makes 16 servings

Nutrition Facts:
Amount Per Serving (1/16th of cake)
Calories 335
Calories from Fat 271
Fat 30.1g
Carbohydrates 5.7g
Fiber 2.4g
Net carbs 3.3g
Protein 5.8g

Source: